

International Service Organization of COSA

For Website

Board Meeting Minutes

Sunday, July 7, 2024

12:00 p.m. – 2:00 p.m. Pacific Time, 1:00 p.m. – 3:00 p.m. Mountain,

2:00 p.m. – 4:00 p.m. Central, 3:00 p.m. – 5:00 p.m. Eastern Time

Our mission is to serve the fellowship of COSA by fostering the growth of individual groups and facilitating the communication of COSA principles and ideals through the Twelve Steps and Twelve Traditions.

Tradition Two: For our group purpose there is but one ultimate authority – a loving God as expressed in our group conscience. Our leaders are but trusted servants; they do not govern.

Present: Co-Chair J, Co-Chair E, Outreach Chair, Lit in Dev Chair, Board Member, Treasurer, Secretary

CONNECT:

Serenity Prayer

Check In

CONSENT AGENDA:

Action Items

BWW meeting minutes public and Dropbox:

Delegate Meeting minutes for Dropbox:

ACTION ITEMS Note: COSAs in the Know = CITK, Delegate Working Group = DWG, DM = Delegate Meeting, SEO = Search Engine Optimization, BWW = Board Working Weekend

PERSON	Due Date	ACTION ITEM	Done? /Comments?
Co-Chair J re: (Email sent Mar 23)	Mid-May	1.All Committee chairs submit summary to Co-Chair J 2. Submit business plan to: Co-Chair J	Done
Lit in Dev Chair, Outreach Chair & Co-Chair E	June 6	Delegate meeting planning & agenda	Done
All Committee Chairs	BWW	All committee budgets to Treasurer	Done
Nom Com, Board, MJ	By June 29th	Obtain a recording of prospective Board Member to present to the Delegates.	Done
Secretary	July 7	Transfer all board minutes under Board Summaries. Yahoo Files. Rename to fit.	Done
Co-Chair J, Outreach Chair, + anyone interested	July 7	Outreach to compile a list / network of professionals & conventions.	Done
Everyone interested who has a say	July 7	BWW hotel(s)/location <i>suggestions</i> for 2025	Continuing

Co-Chair J	Aug 4	Send a survey out to delegates about when it's best for the Fall Delegate Meeting.	In Process
Treasurer, LitCom Chair & Co-Chair E	Aug 4	Have a conversation to communicate clearly regarding KDP	In Process
Everyone interested in carrying the message forward (Co-Chair J writing in CITK about field notes. Co-Chair E will send an invite to North Calif. groups	Ongoing	Each regional retreat/conference can send in their "Field Notes" These can be the cover story for quarterly Balance; word of mouth energy to generate positive attraction. We can have keynote addresses/speaker shares recorded and offered in the store...then at the BIG convention, we may have some more energy.	In Process
Lit in Dev Chair, Outreach Chair & ConCom	Aug 4	Create a "Retreat in a Bag"	In Process
Office Worker.	Aug 4	Regular inventory of COSA items in the office	In Process
Lit in Dev Chair & TechCom Chair	Sept 1	Create a plan between LitCom & TechCom to "Carry the message forward" for COSA	In Process
TechCom Chair, Co-Chair E (& another COSA)	Aug 4	See if a trusted servant can figure out analytics for Mailchimp to SEO (search engine optimization)	Outreach Chair Contacted a COSA member M; she is very willing, put her in touch with TechCom Chair and Co-Chair E - In Process

Outreach Chair	Aug 4	Look at the contract for Spanish translations (is it current?) and follow up with the translations and payment/status.	In Process
Co-Chair J & Outreach Chair	Aug 4	Updated Letter to Professionals needs to be edited and redistributed.	Received from Co-Chair J. In process
Co-Chair J, Outreach Chair, Past Board Member, MJ+ prior delegate liaisons	Sept 1	Create a proposal writing workshop to present to delegates to facilitate communication and make improvements (Outreach Chair will reach out to MJ).	In Process,
Lit in Dev Chair, Outreach Chair, Office Worker	Sept 1	Work on flow for CITK with Editorial Review and Outreach Committee	In Process
Lit in Dev Chair, Outreach Chair, Treasurer & Office Worker	Oct 6	Office Worker requests a process to address and update the Office Worker's job description, using monthly workflow and generating a chain of command and plan for the future.	In Process
Lit in Dev Chair, LitCom Chair, and Treasurer	Oct 6	Plan for updating Service Guide	In progress
Treasurer, Secretary, Co-Chair E	Ongoing	Update Rosetta Stone (a living document)	In Process

Secretary	When RS more updated	Make a Rosetta Stone/General (no sensitive info) for use by Committee, other board members. Store under Yahoo Files	In Process
-----------	----------------------	---	------------

CONTENT:

Concept Three: To ensure effective leadership, we should endow each element of COSA, “the Annual Meeting”, the International Service Organization of COSA and its service committees, contracted worker, and executives with a traditional “Right of Decision”: Co-Chair J

Zoom meeting board invite:

Treasurer. LitCom Chair offered to do a Zoom with me (Treasurer), where she would share her screen, and I could see about getting the reports about book sales from Amazon. I’d like to set that up with her, but I’d like to have all of the Board Members there as well, so we can all understand how it works. Possibly we could carve out some time at the next board meeting to invite LitCom Chair; she could share her screen for us all to see the Amazon website. This would just be for the reporting aspects of costs of sales. I would estimate it would take 15 minutes.

Co-Chair J: I’d rather have a dedicated time set aside for this meeting, instead of at a board meeting, so we aren’t rushed.

Treasurer: Ok, I’ll reach out to LitCom Chair and try to figure out a time; then will send an invite to all of the board to see if they could come. It was agreed that a Sunday at 2 pm Central would be the best time to meet.

BWW 2025 location suggestions:

Board Member: I’m happy to work on BWW 2025 however I can.

Treasurer: The Holy Name Retreat Center in Houston has individual rooms with individual bathrooms, and meeting spaces. They charge something like \$131 per person per night. This includes breakfast, lunch, and dinner. Another option is where Houston had our summer retreat. It was in Round Top Texas. It’s about 1 ½ - 2 hours from the main airport in Houston. We could rent a van, and drive everyone who came from the airport up to Round Top. We would come in on a Friday, and leave on a Monday.

Co-Chair J: If we went to Round Top, we would have our own personal chef who would cook for free, and also handle all of our audio-visual needs. That place usually has availability in August.

Treasurer: Could we look at weekdays? That would increase available dates.

Board Member: It would be difficult for me to take off in the middle of the week. Co-Chair J agreed with this as well.

Co-Chair E: There's various Airbnbs in California, most are in the Anaheim area, and also Vrbos (vacation rentals) that would cost anywhere from \$700 - \$1,000 per night. There are plenty of properties; or we could do hotels. I could possibly use my family's time-share and get us a discount if we need to do that. We would have to figure out our own food. There's plenty of restaurants around.

Co-Chair J: Wherever we pick, we would all need our own bedrooms, (bathrooms could be shared).

Lit in Dev Chair: Those retreat places typically have to be booked on a calendar a year in advance, so that makes it tough. Also, I can't find the list of places that was started a few years ago. Once I find that list, I'll post it for the board members. Anyone who is looking for availability, please look for August, September, or October.

Calendar:

Treasurer: I think we should do the same as some other organizations; plan things for two years out so we aren't scrambling. The other thing is to decide when the Fall Delegate Meeting will take place. That would help me get the budget and financial things figured out, as they have to be posted thirty days in advance.

Co-Chair J: I will send out a survey to the Delegates about when is the best time for our Fall Delegate Meeting.

Lit in Dev Chair: Our last Fall Delegate Meeting was in November 2023.

Co-Chair J: Last year we proposed splitting the Annual Delegate Meeting into two meetings: Fall and Spring, and giving a two-month window for each one. That proposal was only for this current 2023 – 2024 year.

Lit in Dev Chair: I'll check the wording on that. I think it was written this way because the delegates asked to have it split.

Co-Chair E: We did say that we would try it though, see how it worked, and then revisit this process.

Treasurer: We were also leaving flexibility, to have one meeting on a Saturday, the next meeting on a Sunday. (Spring-Summer on a Saturday, Fall-Winter on a Sunday).

Lit in Dev Chair: We may need to revisit this issue, and say this just isn't working out; the fiscal calendar made it quite difficult to share some things for this past delegate meeting.

Co-Chair J: I want to create an ad hoc committee so we can get clarity about when it's the best time for sharing financials in a delegate meeting. We don't know if we want to stay with having two meetings per year anymore, as we have published our *COSA Recovery* book. There aren't as many proposals going through the voting process. This ad hoc committee would help to figure what would be best. We also have not received the delegate survey information from our Delegate Liaison yet.

For this ad hoc committee, please add: Co-Chair J, Lit in Dev Chair, and Board Member, Delegate Liaison, and Treasurer.

Trademark:

Co-Chair J: We used to have a board member J, who lives in the UK. She is chair of the UK Intergroup, and inquired about trademarks. She received notice that someone else wanted to trademark "Cosa UK", and the COSA UK Intergroup was the first to ask about trademarks. She was looking for financial support. I think it would be appropriate for them to apply to the Outreach Committee for a grant. Obviously, we can't do trademarks for COSA Australia, COSA Singapore, etc. However, COSA UK is a conduit to the rest of the whole European area. It gets a little sticky because they are an Intergroup, and are in charge of doing their own things.

Outreach Chair: The Traditions say that we are to be fully self-supporting. We need to be very clear about supporting one intergroup, and tell another group that "you're on your own". Does anyone know the cost of the trademark for the UK?

Treasurer: I believe it's \$1,700. We do support groups. There may be a time that we would say our budget doesn't allow further support at this time.

Co-Chair J: In my way of thinking, the question isn't, "Do we want to support the UK Intergroup, but do we want to protect certain names?" It's to the COSA community's benefit.

Lit in Dev Chair: Well, we do have "COSA" already trademarked. That's not an issue. When it comes to an Intergroup though, it's a violation of Tradition: Every group is self-supporting. If the UK applied for a scholarship/grant, that would be a different thing, and I don't think it would be an issue. I don't think the ISO of COSA should be the manager of Intergroup Trademarks. That goes into dangerous territory.

Treasurer: I agree, J isn't asking us to do the trademark, just for financial support. We couldn't even do the trademark here in the US, as it would go through the UK, and the attorney there.

Lit in Dev Chair: The CZR (COSA Zoom Room) has just as much reach as the UK, maybe more, but CZR has been told that they are on their own. We have to be very careful about the precedent that we are setting.

Outreach Chair: At one point, COSA UK was asked if they would like to combine with CZR, and the UK replied that they were doing well, and were going to give it another year to see what their progress was.

Lit in Dev Chair: We do have the words "ISO of COSA" protected. We are an International Service Organization.

Treasurer: I'm not sure if that is a global reach. When I spoke to the trademark attorney asking about this, she said that we could trademark COSA UK in the US, but that would not transfer to the UK. They would have to go through their own system.

Co-Chair J: So, the UK does have the option of requesting some financial support (a scholarship/grant) from the Outreach Committee.

Chairs/ Liaisons:

Co-Chair J: We don't have a liaison for NomCom (Nomination Committee), Delegate Liaison, or ConCom (Convention Committee). Everything else is shared by someone on the board.

Lit in Dev Chair: I can be the NomCom liaison, since I'm already on that committee.

Board Member: What's involved in being a liaison to a committee? Also, communication is with what person? Co-Chair J's response: well, it's mostly to convey information from one group to the other. The liaison doesn't make decisions for either group. Also, as a liaison, you would just be talking to the chair of that committee.

Lit in Dev Chair: I think the liaison could make decisions if they are part of that committee.

Outreach Chair: I can be the Delegate liaison.

Board Member: I can be the ConCom (Convention Committee) liaison, and please send me all of that contact information.

Co-Chair J: That fills all of the liaison needs. Another matter is how long does a position last? So, for example; the Convention Committee has a season. What about other committees? What about the chair of this board? The service guide does not specify those terms other than when you are elected to the board, it is for a two-year term. Everything else is just not mentioned.

Treasurer: Well, committees are not elected positions. We might want to make it known to people. Announce something in CITK that we are looking for the next Convention Chair for example, please contact us. It might open more opportunities to people.

Co-Chair J: We did find out that the NomCom chair is supposed to be a past Board Chair, but it doesn't specifically say that when a chair gets off the board, they are automatically the NomCom chair. A liaison to any committee has to be someone on the board, but a chair of a committee does not have to be on the board.

Lit in Dev Chair: I'm going to make a suggestion about the Service Guide. This might be something we would want to include. LitCom has set up a mentoring program that has been very successful. We could set up some sort of succession plan.

Co-Chair J: After a past Board Chair stayed on as a Board Member to help mentor the next chair. Our Service Guide should have some guidance on rotation of officers and positions.

Co-Chair E: I'd like to step down as Co-Chair. I've realized lately that I was doing too much service, and felt like I was at my wits end at the Convention with doing the technology and updating the website. My elderly parents are also having increasing needs that require my attention. I think it's time for me to stop in the role of Co-chair. I'm happy to be the TechCom liaison since I'm already on that committee.

Secretary: To clarify, does that mean that Co-Chair J will be Chair?

Co-Chair J: Yes, and y'all are my Experience, Strength, and Hope.

Financials: Treasurer: I will get financials for you all next week.

Meeting Update Task Force: Board Member: I have an interest in helping with this, since I do respond to phone calls and contacts from newcomers requesting information. I'd like to be on this committee.

In-Person Convention: Chair J: The pre-Covid and post-Covid conventions have shown to be totally different. Covid has made permanent changes, I think. At the last in-person pre Covid convention, we had over one hundred people attending. The last convention's workshops, hotel, and food were awesome for the twenty-eight or so people attending. It also lost money. The delegates could very well come back to us and say, "Yes, we want an in-person convention at a five-star hotel next year." The Convention Committee might want the same thing too. It might not be approved because that might not be the fiscally responsible thing to do. I'm looking at post-Covid, because that's our reality now. The first one post-Covid in Atlanta was in conjunction with SAA's (Sex Addicts Anonymous) convention and at the same hotel, we lost a significant amount of money. The next year's in-person convention in St. Louis we broke even. This year we lost money. If 60% of the people want a convention, but only 2% show up, we have to get a feel for what people will actually support.

Treasurer: I suggest when we do a survey about an in-person convention, we should ask where people might be willing to travel. Hawaii would be really expensive, and a person's budget might not be able to do that. Maybe we could think outside the box, as mentioned earlier with Holy Name Retreat Center in Houston. It can hold seventy people, and has all sorts of twelve-step retreats there. We could also look at other lower cost hotels that do have meeting spaces, and free breakfasts. I think until it's proven that we can get more than twenty people at an in-person convention that we say to ConCom, we need an alternative way of thinking. We want newcomers to be able to come, and realize that they might not be in a financially stable position to afford to come.

TechCom Liaison: Other fellowships are suffering as well.

Lit in Dev Chair: Maybe we could have an in-person convention every two or three years, and continue having virtual conventions. Those are sustainable. We could even repeat some of the

sessions. Outreach Chair and I have also talked about putting together a “Retreat in a Bag”, as a resource for people.

Chair J: I think the Convention Committee gets to decide what’s the maximum amount of work they want to do. This relates to this month’s Concept Study. There’s a balance between having autonomy to do things, and also having oversight, and saying that we just can’t support it financially.

Contact list, and onboarding: TechCom Liaison. The board member contact list needs to be updated. TechCom Liaison will save it to Dropbox. She will also be contacting Board Member about onboarding, and getting her up to speed. Publications will be sent to Board Member, including *Roberta’s Rules of Order*.

Check outs

Serenity Prayer

Next Board Meeting: August 4, 2024